They were called American General Finances when I started dealing with them but I guess they just changed their name to Springleaf. I guess because some marketing expert determined that the name "Springleaf" is a better one to deceive people into thinking they have better business practices than the MOB, which they do not. Their website makes them appear all warm and friendly and they have pictures of little girls with watermelons. Do NOT be fooled!! They are ruthless, vicious SOB's and they will harass the snot out of you if you are so much as two days late.
First off, if you really carefully read the papers they have you sign, which I did not, because like most of their victims, errrr I mean clients, I was in desperate need of a loan. But if you do really read them, which I did too late, they are some really intentense paperwork. AGF aka Springleaf is basically asking you to sell your soul.
So far I'm speaking in generalities so let me be more specific: Last summer I was on temporary unemployment. I knew in all likelihood I'd be able to have my job back in the fall so I called them and told them my situation, and asked if I could have make reduced payments until September. Of course they were all warm and friendly and nice about it on the phone, and agreed. Then September comes around and go back to the regular payments. A couple days after I made my payment I get a phone call from someone at American General who is not so nice and friendly. In a very rude tone, she says, "So, when are you going to pay the rest of what you owe us?" To which I say, "What do you mean?" And she says, "All we had was a verbal agreement for you to temporary pay us a reduced rate, but you still owe us the full amount." Of course they never told me this! They led me to believe I could pay interest only payments for a couple months and then just go right back to full payments. But instead, they were now telling me I owed them everything I was suppossed to have paid them over the summer PLUS my regular payments. I was a little rude back, because I was annoyed. "Listen! I don't have that kind of money! I was on unemployment for the summer! Where do you expect me to come up with this money?!" I said. She told me that I had to pay x amount by such and such a time, or there'd be consequences. I continued to send in my regular payment plus whatever extra I could afford and I received constant phone calls four or five times a day, all of which I ignored, because I didn't have anything left to say to them. I was paying what I could pay.
Before long, my employer is telling me my wages are being garnished by American General. Turns out they had gotten a judgement against me the year before when I was also having a hard time paying them. I had no idea there had been a judgement against me. I had received a summons from the court, called them immediately to work out a payment plan. They used my ignorance of the law and court procedure against me. They allowed me to believe that when I started paying them the court order would be dropped. Of course it was not. They got a judgement against me, which of course they never bothered to mention, and so later when I was not able to pay the full amount again, suddenly my wages are being garnished.
I am now almost finished with the wage garnishment. I will be so thankful to have American General out of my life forever. But I want to make it my mission in life to warn everyone STAY AWAY FROM SPRINGLEAF! THEY ARE THE MOB!!!!!
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
- Loans and Mortgages
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "Home Relief Services LLC is a Scam! Someone needs to do Something FAST! To Whom it may concern: Who and What was Home Relief Services LLC. The owners of the..."
- "Them AH took my truck out of my yard ,I had a check Pending they took it on the same day ,my payment was $140.00 and every time a payment..."
- "I was so shocked that the employees of the Pikeville KY , Springleaf Financial office would post comments on a public form such as Facebook about there customers, the post..."
- "6/11/15: Lady from NY called this week and stated that this email below said CAN'T BOOK FOR DIFFERENT NAME BUT IT CLEARLY SILAS EMAILED: " The new ticket can be..."
- "I was recently assaulted and strangled to death by a staff member at Georges Dancin Bare. A "gentleman's club" located at 440 North Interstate Avenue in Portland, Oregon. What began..."
- "Seller shipped package from Colorado to Portland. OR. In two days it arrived at Troutdale, OR which is 11.6 miles from my front door. It then was shipped to Kent, WA which..."
- "Door Dash made changes to their app due to ethical issues with the pricing. they were jacking up the prices of each item you selected. now they are separating these..."
- "Z Gorski Mason Contractor was hired to build our new home's foundation. His lead employee, a convicted felon, could not read our plans or correctly adhere to the engineer's..."
- "Here just two photos of my main I beam frames on my 2013 Chaparral Signature which we bought in 2014 and is one and a half years old. Had so..."